|Image: Louisa Stokes / FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
- Dad can get a better view of baby's latch than Mom can. I teach Dad to look for flanged lips and a deep latch.
- Dad can help make sure that baby has a good suck/swallow ratio. He can watch the sucks and listen for swallows. The ratio should be 1:1 or 1:2.
- He can help Mom with things like suck training and syringe feeding if necessary.
- He can make sure that Mom gets the 2400 calories that she needs every day and make sure that she drinks plenty of water.
- He has the very important responsibility of protecting Mom from too many visitors and/or relatives who aren't supportive of her breastfeeding efforts.
Father's First Steps makes a great gift for any expectant dad. Their list of 25 things that every new father should know will further help Dad be a terrific breastfeeding father!
If your husband was a terrific breastfeeding father, leave a comment telling just how he supported you. A great dad deserves some special recognition!